Friday, April 10, 2015

Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes

THIS IS THE GREATEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO POTATOES SINCE HOT OIL.

Cream cheese.
Yes. 
It is great.

See, I was never a huge fan of mashed potatoes. I mostly took it as an excuse to eat gravy, because lets be honest, gravy is the better half of the mashed potatoes. But since I've stumbled upon this recipe, I think I actually like mashed potatoes as much as I like gravy. (don't tell gravy)

I didn't like mashed potatoes mostly because of the grainy texture and just how plain they tasted. Since both my siblings loove mashed potatoes I always thought something was wrong with me and decided to search pinterest for a recipe to make smoother mashed potatoes that might make me change my mind and I SURE DID.

Most of the recipes included either whipping or blending the potatoes and adding cream cheese. Or lots of butter. Or both. The cream cheese doesn't alter the taste of it really, but it makes it smooth and adds a tiiiny hint of pizzazz that mashed potatoes really need. Basically it's like the potatoes finally hired a much needed personal stylist.

*Note:This recipe requires an electrical mixer OR if you're like me and you're afraid of your electrical mixer because it is way too powerful and will splatter everything everywhere, then you beat it by hand like a crazy person. I've made these three times and didn't bring up the courage to use my electrical mixer until the third time and let me just tell you USE AN ELECTRIC MIXER. It somehow didn't splatter and made the job 1000x easier and I didn't burn 1000 calories trying to make mashed potatoes. Which is actually a good thing though so that way I can regain those calories by eating said mashed potatoes. SO ANYWAYS here is le breakdown of the recipe.

Ingredients: 
2 pounds of potatoes( I prefer russet)
3 T. Butter
4 oz. Cream Cheese
1/2 cup milk
Salt

Peel and cube the potatoes and cover with water in a large pot. I fill approximately half the pot with water. Season with salt. Boil for about 15 minutes, or until tender enough to puncture easily with a fork.



Drain the water completely. Add butter and cream cheese and beat until incorporated.



Add milk and blend until you have reached your desired consistency. For thicker, fluffier mashed potatoes, use less milk. To make it thinner, add more milk. You probably knew that though.

*Note: Mashed potatoes will become thicker the colder they get.


 At this point, taste the mashed potatoes and add more salt if needed.






Recipe adapted from here.

3 comments:

Wardah said...

This looks amazing!! And so kid friendly. Yusuf doesn't drink milk so this would be the perfect way to get some dairy in him! Thats my excuse to make and devour these potatoes

Wardah said...

This looks amazing!! And so kid friendly. Yusuf doesn't drink milk so this would be the perfect way to get some dairy in him! Thats my excuse to make and devour these potatoes

Saba said...

Haha I cant wait for you to try it and hopefully Yusuf likes it too! :) I just added the ingredients cause I guess I got too excited and forgot lol

Friday, April 10, 2015

Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes

THIS IS THE GREATEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO POTATOES SINCE HOT OIL.

Cream cheese.
Yes. 
It is great.

See, I was never a huge fan of mashed potatoes. I mostly took it as an excuse to eat gravy, because lets be honest, gravy is the better half of the mashed potatoes. But since I've stumbled upon this recipe, I think I actually like mashed potatoes as much as I like gravy. (don't tell gravy)

I didn't like mashed potatoes mostly because of the grainy texture and just how plain they tasted. Since both my siblings loove mashed potatoes I always thought something was wrong with me and decided to search pinterest for a recipe to make smoother mashed potatoes that might make me change my mind and I SURE DID.

Most of the recipes included either whipping or blending the potatoes and adding cream cheese. Or lots of butter. Or both. The cream cheese doesn't alter the taste of it really, but it makes it smooth and adds a tiiiny hint of pizzazz that mashed potatoes really need. Basically it's like the potatoes finally hired a much needed personal stylist.

*Note:This recipe requires an electrical mixer OR if you're like me and you're afraid of your electrical mixer because it is way too powerful and will splatter everything everywhere, then you beat it by hand like a crazy person. I've made these three times and didn't bring up the courage to use my electrical mixer until the third time and let me just tell you USE AN ELECTRIC MIXER. It somehow didn't splatter and made the job 1000x easier and I didn't burn 1000 calories trying to make mashed potatoes. Which is actually a good thing though so that way I can regain those calories by eating said mashed potatoes. SO ANYWAYS here is le breakdown of the recipe.

Ingredients: 
2 pounds of potatoes( I prefer russet)
3 T. Butter
4 oz. Cream Cheese
1/2 cup milk
Salt

Peel and cube the potatoes and cover with water in a large pot. I fill approximately half the pot with water. Season with salt. Boil for about 15 minutes, or until tender enough to puncture easily with a fork.



Drain the water completely. Add butter and cream cheese and beat until incorporated.



Add milk and blend until you have reached your desired consistency. For thicker, fluffier mashed potatoes, use less milk. To make it thinner, add more milk. You probably knew that though.

*Note: Mashed potatoes will become thicker the colder they get.


 At this point, taste the mashed potatoes and add more salt if needed.






Recipe adapted from here.

3 comments:

Wardah said...

This looks amazing!! And so kid friendly. Yusuf doesn't drink milk so this would be the perfect way to get some dairy in him! Thats my excuse to make and devour these potatoes

Wardah said...

This looks amazing!! And so kid friendly. Yusuf doesn't drink milk so this would be the perfect way to get some dairy in him! Thats my excuse to make and devour these potatoes

Saba said...

Haha I cant wait for you to try it and hopefully Yusuf likes it too! :) I just added the ingredients cause I guess I got too excited and forgot lol